If you’re going anywhere near your home’s room, then roofing safety better be on your mind. Many an experienced DIY pro has ended up in the emergency room after trying to perform an amateur roof inspection. However, sometimes, as a homeowner, you may need to break out the ladder and check out your roof. Whether you’re inspecting storm damage or hanging up Christmas lights, following a few simple tips can ensure that your roofing project comes together perfectly.
Our first tip is probably the most important: don’t bite off more than you can chew. Do NOT to try to manage new roofing installation, or even roof repair needs, on your own. Getting an experienced professional on board is always a smart idea when it comes to roofing problems.
More Safety Tips for You
If you must get up on your roof, then you should follow these tips to stay safe at all time.
- If you’re going up, be sure that you have a spotting buddy
- Use a sturdy ladder and choose an access area that offers easy entry to the roof
- Use safety gear
Most importantly, if you absolutely must get up on your roof, be sure that you are not alone. It is important to have someone on the ground that can be there if something should go wrong. A partner can help to handle the ladder and keep an eye on things from a safe distance.
Choose Sturdy Equipment
That rickety ladder that you have been meaning to throw out is not the ladder that you should use for this job. If you do not have a sturdy ladder, borrow one, or just wait until the professionals arrive.
When it comes to safety gear, professional roofers may use some combination of a hard hat, harness, and other fall protection equipment. That same roofing safety gear can help to protect you if you lose your footing.
Roofing Safety Tips For Roofing Installation Projects
A lot of property owners want to know what they can do to make their roofing contractor’s job safer. There are a few tips that you can follow to get your property prepared for roofing repairs and roof replacement:
- Keep a path clear for trucks and work crew
- Be sure to keep pets and kids out of the way
- Make crew aware of any potential danger areas
It is important that the work crew has clear access to the roof and can haul equipment and materials up to the roof safely. Creating a safe environment is as easy as moving things around a bit.
Make sure pets are secure. Even the friendliest of pets can become apprehensive when a work crew is around. It is always best to make sure your pet is secured.
If there is loose siding or any other hazards, be sure to let the crew know what to look out for. A warning can go a long way to keep roofers safe.
Finally, if you have any specific questions about how to accomplish a roofing project safely, then you should probably seek professional help. Professional, licensed, and insured roofers will know how to manage your roofing project safely.
Summer is officially here, and for many people, that means firing up the grill and soaking up the sun. But summer comes with its own fair share of challenges, too, including humidity and rainfall.
The good news is you can prepare your home for these issues to keep potential damage at bay. Here are four tips to ready your home for the hottest months of the year.
- Inspect and repair your siding and roofing. Your home’s exterior features can take a beating throughout the year. Summer is one of the best times to make any necessary repairs or replacements you may need. Call your local contractors to replace any siding that’s been damaged by debris or the weather, and repair any damaged shingles.
- Clean your gutters. It’s recommended to have your gutters cleaned at least twice a year, once during the fall and once during the spring. If you haven’t cleaned your gutters yet, now’s the time to do it. Late spring to early fall is hurricane season, and while Washington may not face off with any hurricanes any time soon the season still brings a lot of rain. Your gutters are the only thing protecting your roof from water damage, and so they need to be clear.
- Clean your deck and patio. Summer is the king of outdoor entertaining, which means you’ll want to spend some time making sure your deck and patio are ready. You can pressure-wash wood decks and concrete patios to clear away the dirt and grime that’s build up during the winter months. You can also reseal or repaint your deck as needed.
- Clean and repair your driveway and walkways. The winter weather can cause cracks and damage to your driveway and walkways. The summer months are a great time to hire someone to repair these issues. If you don’t have any damage to worry about, you can use this time to clean away any grime that’s been caked onto your walkways and stone paths.
Interested in cedar siding installations?
If you’re in need of a new siding installation, consider choosing cedar siding. The majority of home sidings are rated for winds at 110 mph, which makes cedar siding installations great for all kinds of weather.
Side Pro offers siding replacements, repairs, and installations year-round. To learn more about our cedar siding services or to schedule your own installation this summer, contact Side Pro today.
Cedar siding is a beautiful and long-lasting siding choice. But it’s important that you stay up to date with your cedar siding’s car and cleaning to maintain its beauty.
Routine maintenance will help to prevent issues such as mold, mildew, rotting, and water damage. To help you sustain your siding’s long-lasting life and appearance, here are a few tips you can use to catch problems before they cause permanent damage.
Clean your siding completely before painting
Cedar siding has natural preservatives that are capable of withstanding many types of weather. But without the proper care, your siding could suffer from mold damage because of mildew buildup.
To keep mold and mildew at bay, remember to completely clean your cedar siding before you begin painting it. This will free your siding from any dirt, debris, or mildew that could be trapped by the paint.
Prevent moisture from seeping into your siding
Without maintenance, moisture can make its way into your home’s cedar siding. This is a problem because it can cause water damage, mold, and mildew. But the good news is you can help to prevent moisture with just a few simple steps.
- Make sure your attic is well insulated
- Be sure your home’s caulking and flashing is properly maintained
- Maintain your home’s interior humidity around 40%
- Consider using heating wires on your home’s eaves to melt ice during the winter to keep water from backing up under your roof shingles.
Remember to prime your siding before painting
When painting your home’s cedar siding, you need to sand and prime it properly after you’ve completely cleaned it. Sanding your siding helps to remove any loose surface particles from the wood.
Once you’ve sanded, cover your siding in a primer that will keep tannic acid or natural red coloring from surfacing on the siding. Finally, after the primer has dried, you can begin painting with exterior latex paint. It’s recommended to apply a new coat of paint approximately every three to seven years.
Do you need cedar siding repairs or a siding replacement?
It’s no secret that cedar siding is popular. In fact, there are up to 15 different types of siding and cedar siding is considered the number one most popular type of wood siding.
Whether you’re looking to install cedar siding this summer, you need a cedar siding replacement, or you need some repairs, Side Pro has you covered. To learn more about our cedar siding replacements and repairs, contact Side Pro today.
Did you know that maintaining your cedar siding in the right way can add 75 years to its lifespan? While some homeowners know this, many don’t. The siding on your home is one of the most neglected parts of the house, next to the roof. To be fair, most homeowners don’t look at the siding or up at their roof every time they walk outside.
The result, at least in the case of the roof, is that your roof becomes old and you end up having to contact a company that specializes in roof replacement. If you aren’t sure whether your roof needs to be replaced or not, read on below for a few of the top signs that you need to call in a team of roof replacement experts today.
The Roof Is Leaking
While water can seep into your home from a few different areas, if you think you have a leak, the first place to check would be the roof. While it may seem obvious to you, many homeowners ignore a tiny leak or brown spot on the ceiling, figuring it is a minor problem and they can take care of it later. However, even small leaks can lead to major damage, such as rotting or mold buildup. If you find that you have a leak, call in roofing contractors in Seattle to take care of the problem for you right away.
The Roof Is Old
How old is your roof? If you have to take a second to try and think back or you have no idea, then it’s probably time for a roof replacement. Any reputable roof installation company in Seattle will tell you that a roof is usually good for 20 to 25 years. However, this also depends on if the existing roof was installed over another roof, and if the roof is properly ventilated. If you find out any of these things about your current roof and it’s over 20 years of age, it’s a good bet the roof needs to be replaced.
The Roof Is Missing Shingles
While it’s not a problem to be missing a couple of shingles on your roof, as they can be easily replaced, if you are missing a lot of shingles, then it’s best to call in a reputable roofing contractor to replace the entire roof. It is also possible that the new shingles won’t match your existing roof, which means it won’t look good, and it could drive down your home’s value as well.
The Roof Has a Critter Infestation
Insects, squirrels, mice, and other rodents can wreak havoc on a roof. If the damage is to only part of the structure, you could get by with a repair, but if the damage is extensive, a replacement could be your only option. It’s also a good idea to have an exterminator come in and check your home and roof for termite damage as well.
Light Is Coming Through the Roof Boards
If when you walk across your roof and it feels spongy in spots, it could be because of the underlying deck being weakened by moisture. Go into your attic and look up at the roof. If you can see sunlight through the roof boards, you need to contact someone to come inspect and possibly replace your roof as soon as possible. Make sure you check for moisture in your insulation as well.
These are just a few of the top signs that you need to schedule roof replacement with a reputable roofing company. From missing shingles to a roof that is infested with animals and insects, ignoring the problem will only cost you more damage and money in the long run.
If you are a connoisseur of house flipping or home remodeling shows, then you know that a key part of transforming many homes is changing the exterior. With the popularity of the rustic and farmhouse styles, you may have noticed an increase in both brick accents and wood siding. Also, many homeowners rely on a roofing installation process to transform the look of their roof.
Let’s start with the siding options that can transform your home.
If your existing siding needs to be replaced, you have several different options. The three most popular siding materials include fiber cement, cedar, and vinyl. To achieve that farmhouse look, cedar siding is a fantastic option.
Cedar siding comes in both smooth and rough textures. This siding replacement is available in small, medium and wide widths. Siding contractors can paint or stain your cedar siding in just about any color or shade.
If you live in an area with lots of greenery or mountains, the combination of cedar siding and natural backgrounds is just beautiful. It looks almost like a painting or postcard. That cedar siding installation will give you the rustic or farmhouse look that you desire.
If you choose cedar, there are a few important maintenance tips to be aware of. First, the stain or paint on cedar siding needs to be reapplied every three to six years. How long the stain or paint lasts is often dependent on the weather patterns in your geographic location. You also need to know that cedar is one of the more expensive siding options.
Next, let’s discuss the roofing replacement options that can both protect and beautify your home’s exterior.
Some of the most stylish rustic homes have a roof made of rustic metal panels or vintage and rustic rawhide. Another current trend is using rustic shingles.
Rustic shingles look great and can be ordered in many colors that will accent the rest of your home’s exterior. The rustic shingle texture is rugged and actually looks like a wood grain.
During the roofing installation process, installers use concealed, as opposed to exposed fasteners, which create a tight hold and prevent exposure to the elements. These shingles are also easy to maintain and do not crack, rust, or rot. Most homeowners find that the roofing installation process takes between three to five days.
Are you ready to transform your home to match what you have been dreaming about? Many reputable contractors offer both cedar siding replacements and roofing replacements.
To find the right contractor, you may want to ask friends and family for referrals. There are also online sites that rank the best contractors in your geographic area and provide detailed information about their services and availability. Best of luck to you in your rustic, farmhouse transformation!
Spring is in full swing, but your house may still be recovering from a long winter. The good news is there are a few ways you can get your home to shake off the winter season and get ready for the sun.
Consider the following four ways you can give your home the spring makeover you’ve been waiting for:
- Repair your walkway. Ice, snow, hail, and cold temperature can each wreak havoc on your walkway. Take the time to patch up any cracks you might find and replace loose pavers or bricks. You can also use a power washer to clean any stains that have made their home in your concrete, stone, or asphalt.
- Repair or replace your siding. The winter season can also take a major toll on your home’s siding. Although siding is able to resist winds that are up to 110 mph, flying debris can cause cracks, dents, and broken siding. It’s a good idea to replace your siding during the spring because summer is hurricane season, which brings wind and rain from the southeast.
- Mulch and prune. Your trees and shrubbery have made it through the colder seasons. Now it’s time to give them some love and care. Prune any dead branches on your trees and trim back overgrown shrubbery. Remove any obstructive plants you see that could be blocking sunlight from your plants or stealing their water. You also want to spread mulch around your trees, flowers, and shrubs to give them the extra nutrients they need for springtime growth.
- Clear your gutters. Your gutter system ought to be cleaned and inspected at least twice a year, once during the spring and once during the fall. Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear of tree limbs, leaves, and debris that could cause issues later on. Clogged gutters can prevent water from draining away from your house, which can cause flooding and water damage.
Looking for a siding replacement this spring?
Vinyl, fiber cement, and cedar are considered the most popular siding materials, and cedar is the number one most popular type of wood siding. If you’re looking for a siding replacement for your home that boosts your curb appeal and makes your home feel cozier, cedar siding is the choice for you.
Side Pro offers cedar siding installations and siding replacements in the Seattle area so you can make your home look its best year-round. To learn more about our cedar siding installations, contact Side Pro today.
When we are faced with making a decision about doing projects on our property, there’s not always a lot of time to take action. But it’s important to find out as much as possible before starting any type of work, such as a roof installation project or siding replacement and installation. Consider these five key points before the professionals begin working on your property.
1. Find Out About New and Replacement Siding
You already know that this siding repair service will install new and replacement siding. But you need to find out what kinds. Siding is available in an incredible variety of colors, styles and thicknesses. You can have cedar siding, for instance, clapboard, and more, to create the look that is perfect for your home. This may be a good time to consider making a change.
2. Find Out About Durability
You want your new siding to last as long as possible. As projects go, replacing your siding is a big project. It’s not a project you want to tackle again any sooner than is absolutely necessary. Durability should be a key consideration in the selection of materials to use if you are doing a window, door, or roof installation project. For instance, only 4% of the construction market’s production energy is lumber. Yet, at the same time, lumber is quite durable. It is also minimally processed and actually makes up almost half of all building materials, actually 40%. So you may consider inquiring about it.
3. Remember That Curb Appeal Matters
If you’ve never installed siding, looks and curb appeal point might not be the first thing that comes into your mind. But looks count and the siding on your home needs to complement the look of your house. Ask the company to show you a portfolio of their completed projects. Remember, good curb appeal will add to the resale value of your property.
4. Find Out About Aluminum and Copper Gutters
Sometimes the work done by a siding installation service has to extend beyond the siding itself to contiguous areas of your home, such as gutters and windows. Ask if the company handles roof installation, gutter installation and repairs, as well as installing new and replacement windows. Efficient gutter installation and proper gutter maintenance will protect other areas of the home such as custom windows and doors from being flooded with rainwater and debris, both of which are potentially damaging to your property.
5. Find Out About New and Replacement Windows
If you need to replace any windows, make sure to ask if energy efficient windows will be installed. As a homeowner, you can reduce your home’s energy needs by choosing these types of windows. It has been shown that energy bills can increase when air escapes through drafty windows.
For whatever reason, you are in a situation where you need to do work on the exterior of your property. You will need to find a professional company to do the work, but you want them to look at your siding, roof, gutters, doors, and windows too. Being informed is a key factor in not only finding a good company to do your project; being informed will also help you find the best value and lead you to a project that is completed to your satisfaction.
Lumber makes up over 40% of all building materials used, and cedar is the number one kind of wood siding chosen. When you’re deciding on the best siding material for your home, cedar offers distinct advantages over other materials. Because of this, doityourself.com offers three reasons to consider choosing cedar.
It Is Durable.
Cedar is much more resistant to splitting, rot, swelling, bending, and mildew issues than other woods. This type of siding also requires less maintenance, unlike other kinds of wood sidings. It’s much longer-lasting than woods such as pine as well.
A layer of finish is recommended to protect your cedar siding and keep it looking its best, and it should be refinished or repainted every four to five years for the best appearance. Regular inspections for moisture build-up and termites are suggested, along with twice-yearly cleanings. When properly cared for, cedar siding can last up to 75 years. This gives siding companies like Side-Pro, who use the highest quality products, the confidence to cover their materials and labor on any product defect with warranties of up to 50 years.
It Is Eco-Friendly.
Surprisingly, cedar is an environmentally-conscious siding choice since it doesn’t require a great deal of treatment or processing. In addition, it’s a renewable product that’s entirely biodegradable once its purpose has been served. Choosing cedar for roof or siding replacement can also save you substantial amounts of energy during the year because it has excellent insulation properties.
It Has Aesthetic Appeal.
The majority of homeowners choose cedar siding because of its beauty and its ability to blend in well with a home’s background. For individuals who love the look of natural cedar, simply apply a protective clear finish. Cedar can also be painted if you so desire, and you can select from tongue and groove, bevel, and rough cut patterns as well. White and red cedar is available, and the distinctive grain pattern of this wood greatly increases its aesthetic appeal.
Siding companies like Side-Pro can replace or install your home’s siding or roofing with a variety of materials, and choosing the one that best meets your needs is an important decision. Cedar siding offers several advantages such as durability, environmental impact, and visual appeal. For these reasons, it’s a siding material well worth considering.
Your roofing and siding can make or break your home’s protection from the elements as well as raise or lower its curb appeal. It can affect your home’s value, and insulates your home from the weather, and your bank account from high surprise energy bills. If you have noticed any rot, warping or cracking in your roof or siding, or your utility bills rising, it may be time to consider repairing or replacing your roofing or siding. When undertaking such a significant project, there are many factors to keep in mind. Print out or jot down the list of basics below to have handy when you visit your siding and roofing company to discuss siding or roofing installation.
While vinyl siding has had a popular run, cedar siding is considered by many to be a superior option.
There are 15 different types of siding. Lumber constitutes more than 40% of building materials. Cedar siding can last up to 25 years with proper maintenance. To maintain your cedar siding, it’s recommended to apply a new coat of paint, sealer, or stain every three to seven years. If your cedar siding is painted or stained, it’s recommended to repaint or re-stain the siding every 10 to 15 years.
Hardie Plank siding is the most favored type of siding in America and is installed on millions of U.S. homes. Owing to its strength, beauty, and durability, Hardie Plank siding enhances the aesthetics and protection of homes in all manner of climates. Available in myriad looks and textures, all of which include PrimePlus sealer and primer, it provides an excellent painting surface and it creates an environment hostile to fungus and mildew. For your peace of mind, Hardie Plank offers a thirty-year limited warranty.
Bevel cedar siding is another option that provides both durability and beauty. It is crafted by sawing lumber at an angle to produce two pieces that are thicker on one edge than the other. The result is siding with one textured side and one smooth side. When installed horizontally, it creates a handsome shadow line.
When considering roofing installation and contractors, be sure to look for longevity, experience, and plenty of great customer reviews!
Many people all over the United States are looking to change the siding on their homes. Cedar, vinyl, and fiber cement are currently the three most popular choices for home siding materials. If you are talking to siding companies about redoing the siding on your home, you may not know which to choose, but it is important to get the right siding and siding insulation for your house and climate. Most siding insulation is able to handle winds with speeds that reach 100 miles per hour. Before you talk to any siding replacement companies, you should take some time to select the right siding for your home.
- Start by getting to know your options. Before you start dealing with any siding installation companies, you should know more about each of the options you have available to you. There are a number of options beyond the most popular three, including brick, plastic, stone, stucco, and aluminum. You need to think about the way the siding looks and how well it performs. Cost is also a factor that should be considered. For example, vinyl lasts a long time, is generally reliable, and can be cost-effective, but many homeowners do not like its artificial look. Cedar siding looks great but does need more care. Stone and brick cost a lot but they look great and can last a long time. Knowing what you want from your siding can make a big difference in which material you select.
- Research different looks and designs for your siding. When people visit your home, the first thing they see is the exterior. Before you start working with any of the siding companies in your area, it helps to know what kind of look you want for your home. The right siding design can do a lot to boost the curb appeal of your house. You should go with a color, style, and material that fits with the look of your property. You should also look at ways to make your home mesh with the others in your area.
- Take the climate in your area into consideration. When you talk to siding companies, you need to think about the weather your area experiences. You need different siding if you live in a region of the country that sees a lot of snow, hurricanes, blizzards, extreme heat or cold, extreme humidity or dry conditions, and the amount of sun your home gets. These weather conditions should be considered when you are looking at the different siding options you have available to you.
- Talk to at least two designers. When people are looking at hiring siding contractors to put in new siding, they often consult with home designers to get the right materials and styles for the siding. You can also talk to your friends, family, and neighbors to get their opinion. If different designers or people in your life come back with the same opinion, you know you are headed in the right direction.
- Hire the right siding installers to do the job. Anytime you hire someone to work on and around your home, you have to take care to get the right company. There are a lot of siding companies out there, so you should be able to get the right one to do the job on your home. They need to have the right license and insurance and come with good references. Make sure they only work with high-quality materials. Going with a company that has a track record in your area can be helpful in this area. It is never a good idea to go with a contracting company that arrives on your doorstep offering a special deal that is time sensitive.
Getting the right siding for your home takes time and effort. You need to work with are siding companies to get the right style and material. This is a big deal for the look of your home, and your siding also protects you and your family from the elements.