If you are considering new siding in Seattle, your first step is to choose one of the siding companies Seattle WA trusts to deliver results as promised. Your next step is to learn as much as you can about your siding options.
Deciding which type of exterior you want for your home is a big decision. There are plenty of options out there. A trusted siding replacement specialist can help you to decide which option is right for your property.
It Adds Value to Your Home
Most people know the condition of their exterior adds value to their home, but they are not aware of just how many ways it adds value. Of course, it dresses your home and gives it a polished look but that is not all it does.
Exterior finishing protects every system in your home, and it can also reduce energy consumption. Not only does it add value, but it helps you to lower costs as well.
The Most Popular
There are three types of siding that are at the top of the list of choices. Vinyl, cedar, and fiber cement top the list of the most popular siding options, but they are not the only options out there.
There is an extensive list of options. Not all the options are as practical or cost effective as others. Your siding contractors can shed more light on the ins and out of each option. Here are some alternative options:
- Stucco siding
- Engineered wood
- Metal siding
Choosing the right option largely depends on the design of your home and the aesthetic you are going for. Some options are simply cost-prohibitive for most homeowners, like glass panel siding. Other options are far more budget-friendly, like vinyl siding.
How Do You Decide Which Is Best for Your Home?
If you have siding contractors that are experts in their fields, then you can get the help you need to make the right decision for your property and for your budget. Each of the top three most popular choices is popular for a reason.
For example in the Northwest, cedar siding is popular because of its longevity, durability, and of course, it delivers a natural beauty that is hard to beat. Vinyl siding is less expensive and likely just as durable, but it does not afford the same aesthetic that cedar siding does.
Ultimately the point is there is something for anyone and for any budget. You just need to get help from a professional who can offer you a range of options to choose from.
Your home needs new siding, but you do not which siding companies to call. A job like this needs a reliable, professional, honest siding contractor. Normally, you’d ask a neighbor, but you are new to town or none of your neighbors have recently resided their homes. In any case, you want some ideas on how to find good siding companies.
In the following points, we’ll give you 7 questions to ask when talking to a siding contractor.
- Liability and Worker’s Compensations Insurance. Does the company have liability covered by their state? This is the first question you’ll want answered because this alone will filter out 90% or more of scam artists and bad actors. Also, and importantly, you do not want to be liable for any injuries your contractor’s employees may incur. If this happens, worker’s compensation will cover the medical bills.
- Warranties. Do the siding companies you contact offer warranties for the product and their workmanship? There may be a built-in manufacturer’s warranty and there may be an additional warranty coverage offered by the siding company you hire. There are over a dozen types of siding and each type has different lifespans. This will affect warranty length. Also, if there are any unintentional mistakes in siding installation, the product itself, or workmanship, you’ll want to be adequately covered so that these issues can be resolved within a reasonable amount of time. Be sure to check the conditions of the warranty because there are things not covered, for example, damage caused by the homeowner.
- Payment. How much time do I have to pay or finance the siding installation? This is another question that will weed out scam artists. Good siding installation companies will want a down payment but they will offer financing that will give you options on the length of time you have to pay. Weigh your options to see if payments with interest for paying in full will be best for you. A scam artist will ask for cash up front. A professional siding and roofing company will offer payment terms.
- Online reviews. Are there any online reviews I can look at? You may ask your potential siding contractors this question in order to ascertain their level of professionalism, customer service, and workmanship. Some companies are more online savvy than others, so you may need to ask for written customer referrals and reviews. Checking company references can be a powerful tool for the consumer.
- Project length. How long will it take the siding company to finish installing your home’s new siding? A professional siding company will be able to give you a timeline which will account for potential weather delays or other circumstances that may add time to the siding job. You can also ask the siding contractor for updates during the project. Whether they are ahead of schedule, on time, or behind schedule, you can have current updates to keep you abreast of time until the project’s completion.
- Clean up. Does the company remove all discarded materials and tools at the end of each day. Make sure that the company gives you this guarantee, so that you will not have to do any clean up. You can also ask which type of dumpster they will be using and its location, so that you can plan for parking alternatives. A good company will have a refuse container on the street in front of your house for ease of access.
- Office location. Where is your office located? This is a question that will filter out business scammers and others who are not legitimate. A place of business is a sign of a legitimate company that complies with its laws and regulations. Even if the company is a start up in the proprietor’s garage, they will not be afraid to have you visit, if they are regulation compliant. You can also look up the Better Business Bureau to see if the company has had any complaints and what has been done to resolve them.
These 7 questions will help you find the right siding companies for your beloved home.
It’s all too easy to forget about winter once the snow has melted and we’ve turned on our air conditioning. But it’s important to remember that winter always comes back. Today may be the best time to get in some home projects to avoid costly repairs tomorrow.
What types of home projects are ideal to work on when the weather is still ideal? Here we’ve compiled some of the most common home projects and installations you’ll want to address before the summer heat starts to cool back down.
There are up to 15 different types of siding for your home, and it’s crucial to find a type of siding that not only works for your house aesthetically but also functionally. Your siding, like your roof, is designed to help keep moisture and other elements away from your home’s interior.
If you’ve started to notice your siding is damaged and needs more than a minor repair, it might be a good idea to consider a siding replacement while the weather is warm and dry. The last thing you want is to deal with drafts and wall rot during the winter months because moisture has made its way inside your insulation.
Speaking of keeping moisture and the elements away, you may have noticed that many homeowners have their roofs installed or replaced during the summer and fall months. This is because roof installations are less dangerous during this time and you don’t have to worry about snow, ice, and hail.
Roof installations and repairs are also best for the summer and fall months because it ensures your roof is ready to take on that snow, ice, and hail once winter arrives.
Exterior paint jobs
Have you noticed your home’s paint is starting to peel from age? Or the exterior color just isn’t cutting it for you anymore? Early summer and early fall are great for exterior paint jobs because of the ideal weather conditions.
There’s minimal rain and minimal fluctuations in temperature between daylight and evening hours. This ensures your home’s paint is applied smoothly and dries and cures properly.
Looking for siding installers or roof installation services?
Summer and fall are some of the best times of the year to have your siding replaced and new roofs installed. In fact, cedar siding can last up to 75 years if properly maintained.
If you’re looking to complete home projects this year, now’s the time to do it and Side Pro can help. To learn more about cedar siding replacements or for more information about our roof installation and exterior painting services, contact Side Pro today.
Summer is officially here, and for many people, that means firing up the grill and soaking up the sun. But summer comes with its own fair share of challenges, too, including humidity and rainfall.
The good news is you can prepare your home for these issues to keep potential damage at bay. Here are four tips to ready your home for the hottest months of the year.
- Inspect and repair your siding and roofing. Your home’s exterior features can take a beating throughout the year. Summer is one of the best times to make any necessary repairs or replacements you may need. Call your local contractors to replace any siding that’s been damaged by debris or the weather, and repair any damaged shingles.
- Clean your gutters. It’s recommended to have your gutters cleaned at least twice a year, once during the fall and once during the spring. If you haven’t cleaned your gutters yet, now’s the time to do it. Late spring to early fall is hurricane season, and while Washington may not face off with any hurricanes any time soon the season still brings a lot of rain. Your gutters are the only thing protecting your roof from water damage, and so they need to be clear.
- Clean your deck and patio. Summer is the king of outdoor entertaining, which means you’ll want to spend some time making sure your deck and patio are ready. You can pressure-wash wood decks and concrete patios to clear away the dirt and grime that’s build up during the winter months. You can also reseal or repaint your deck as needed.
- Clean and repair your driveway and walkways. The winter weather can cause cracks and damage to your driveway and walkways. The summer months are a great time to hire someone to repair these issues. If you don’t have any damage to worry about, you can use this time to clean away any grime that’s been caked onto your walkways and stone paths.
Interested in cedar siding installations?
If you’re in need of a new siding installation, consider choosing cedar siding. The majority of home sidings are rated for winds at 110 mph, which makes cedar siding installations great for all kinds of weather.
Side Pro offers siding replacements, repairs, and installations year-round. To learn more about our cedar siding services or to schedule your own installation this summer, contact Side Pro today.
Cedar siding is a beautiful and long-lasting siding choice. But it’s important that you stay up to date with your cedar siding’s car and cleaning to maintain its beauty.
Routine maintenance will help to prevent issues such as mold, mildew, rotting, and water damage. To help you sustain your siding’s long-lasting life and appearance, here are a few tips you can use to catch problems before they cause permanent damage.
Clean your siding completely before painting
Cedar siding has natural preservatives that are capable of withstanding many types of weather. But without the proper care, your siding could suffer from mold damage because of mildew buildup.
To keep mold and mildew at bay, remember to completely clean your cedar siding before you begin painting it. This will free your siding from any dirt, debris, or mildew that could be trapped by the paint.
Prevent moisture from seeping into your siding
Without maintenance, moisture can make its way into your home’s cedar siding. This is a problem because it can cause water damage, mold, and mildew. But the good news is you can help to prevent moisture with just a few simple steps.
- Make sure your attic is well insulated
- Be sure your home’s caulking and flashing is properly maintained
- Maintain your home’s interior humidity around 40%
- Consider using heating wires on your home’s eaves to melt ice during the winter to keep water from backing up under your roof shingles.
Remember to prime your siding before painting
When painting your home’s cedar siding, you need to sand and prime it properly after you’ve completely cleaned it. Sanding your siding helps to remove any loose surface particles from the wood.
Once you’ve sanded, cover your siding in a primer that will keep tannic acid or natural red coloring from surfacing on the siding. Finally, after the primer has dried, you can begin painting with exterior latex paint. It’s recommended to apply a new coat of paint approximately every three to seven years.
Do you need cedar siding repairs or a siding replacement?
It’s no secret that cedar siding is popular. In fact, there are up to 15 different types of siding and cedar siding is considered the number one most popular type of wood siding.
Whether you’re looking to install cedar siding this summer, you need a cedar siding replacement, or you need some repairs, Side Pro has you covered. To learn more about our cedar siding replacements and repairs, contact Side Pro today.
Many homeowners are accustomed to the interiors of their house to the extent that they don’t know how their house exteriors look like. This means that a house owner may not know whether their roof is damaged or not. If you are one of those homeo
wners, you need to read these signs that show your house needs a roof replacement.
1. Know the Lifespan of your roof
Every material that is used for roofing has a lifespan and the time it is supposed to serve. Tiles and metal roofs are known to serve for a longer period. However, typical roofing materials only serve for 12 to 15 years. If your roof has served for more than this period, know that you need a roof replacement. You are already enjoying bonuses and you are already compromising with the roofing safety of your house.
2. Missing Shingles
Missing shingles is a sign that all is not well with your roof. You need roof replacement experts in your home within the shortest time possible. Many people ignore missing shingles and they do not take it as a sign of an aging roof. However, if some of the roofing shingles start to fall from the roof, there is a possibility that most of the shingles on your roof are not intact. It is a clear indication that you need to know how you will replace the missing shingles or the entire roof.
3. Daylight through the roof boards
This is an obvious sign that you need a roof replacement. However, it is difficult to notice daylight through the roofing boards during the day when the house is filled with natural light and at night when you have already switched on your lights. However, a roofing contractor will be able to distinguish between light from the windows and the light passing through roof boards. You should know that daylight passing through the boards does not indicate that the entire roof needs replacing. Sometimes the problem could be originating from a single area, which needs to be repaired.
4. Roof Sagging
Roof sagging is a common danger sign that indicates there is something wrong with the underlying roof board. It is a clear indication that there is a fault line in the entire roofing system that is not holding its weight. This could explain why the weight has been directed to a particular area of the roof hence causing sagging. Roofing contractors Seattle are better suited to understanding why your roof is sagging and thereby offering a reliable solution.
You will realize leaking on the first instant. If you realize that you are getting rainwater or morning dew in your house, know that your roof is damaged and needs instant repair. The problem with leaks is that they do not manifest during the day but only emerge when there is a heavy downpour. Roof replacement Seattle experts are accustomed to repairing leaking areas and they could offer a permanent solution before everything goes out of control.
6. Paint Damage
Paint damages are very common in houses, especially where finishing was poor or where the poor quality of paint was used. However, peeling of paints at critical areas of the house, especially near the roof edges indicates serious leakages. Paint peeling is seen on both the interiors and exteriors of the house. That is a clear indication that your roof needs to be repaired before the leaks can be catastrophic. You are advised to re-stain the sliding after a period of five or ten years.
7. Moss and Algae
Moss and algae are common in humid geographic conditions because they grow in wet areas. They do not necessarily indicate that your roof needs replacement. You can easily peel them off using a garden tool. However, consistent moss and algae even during the summer is an indicator that your roof is storing water. You need to do something before the roof board and the ceiling is damaged.
If you have already noticed one of these signs, or you have a feeling that your roof needs replacement, contact Seattle roofing installation experts for roof assessment and replacement if necessary. With the services of professional roofers, you don’t have to worry about your roof.
You need siding replacement. What do you do? What are your options? Amazingly, there are 15 different types of siding for your home. The three most common home siding are cedar, vinyl, and fiber cement. Cedar is the most popular among these and for good reason. Cedar sided homes are beautiful, better protected, and offer increased value for the homeowner. Cedar is durable and resistant to various problems. Overall, it is an outstanding building material. Read on to find out more about siding replacement and which type of siding is best for you. Next, we’re going to look at the advantages offered by cedar siding.
Cedar siding lasts a long time.
Cedar has excellent resistance to rot, bacteria, different funguses, and mildew. This makes it a much tougher wood and it is more resistant to wood borne problems. If your cedar siding receives the proper care, it will enjoy a long life. It is also a low maintenance wood. It is recommended that your cedar siding receives a new coat of paint, sealant or stain every three to seven years. This will assist in the siding’s durability and long life.
There are an array of types and finishes for cedar siding.
Cedar sided homes are known for their rustic, natural look. This wood will age over time (it whitens), but this process will be delayed with the proper care and maintenance. Apply a clear finish to your cedar siding for a more natural look.
Cedar siding can be used in its natural untreated form for a rustic, original look. Cedar siding is offered in a wide array of patterns, such as tongue and groove, bevel, rough cut, and board and batten to name a few. Also, cedar can be red or white.
Cedar has an inviting appeal.
Cedar siding offers warmth, naturalness, and beauty. Many homeowners prefer cedar siding due to its beauty. It also blends well with many backgrounds. Cedar has been used for centuries. It is considered a good choice if you’re looking for a traditional and time tested wood.
Cedar offers durability.
Cedar is a hard wood and therefore it is resistant to swelling in wet conditions, splitting with age, and it is resistant as well to rot and excess moisture. It is wise, however, to give your cedar siding a layer of protective finish so that it will continue to look beautiful and this will aid the aging process. Every wood is susceptible to some form of nuisance, such as termites, humidity and rot. Cedar is your best bet in preventing these type of wood nuisances.
Cedar is good for the environment.
Not every wood is a friend of the environment; however, cedar wood is an exception because of its minimal processing and treatment. Cedar is also 100 percent biodegradable. It is a renewable commodity and it outlasts its wood competitors, such as pine.
Cedar is an excellent insulator.
Cedar insulates really well and it is an energy saver for your home. It helps keep in the cool air during the summer and it keeps the warm air in the house in the winter. Cedar also protects your home against excessive heat, water and drying effects.
Find Siding Installation Companies In Your Area
You now need to find siding companies and siding contractors in your area. The next step in your siding installation or siding replacement is to research and contact siding installation companies.
Did you know that maintaining your cedar siding in the right way can add 75 years to its lifespan? While some homeowners know this, many don’t. The siding on your home is one of the most neglected parts of the house, next to the roof. To be fair, most homeowners don’t look at the siding or up at their roof every time they walk outside.
The result, at least in the case of the roof, is that your roof becomes old and you end up having to contact a company that specializes in roof replacement. If you aren’t sure whether your roof needs to be replaced or not, read on below for a few of the top signs that you need to call in a team of roof replacement experts today.
The Roof Is Leaking
While water can seep into your home from a few different areas, if you think you have a leak, the first place to check would be the roof. While it may seem obvious to you, many homeowners ignore a tiny leak or brown spot on the ceiling, figuring it is a minor problem and they can take care of it later. However, even small leaks can lead to major damage, such as rotting or mold buildup. If you find that you have a leak, call in roofing contractors in Seattle to take care of the problem for you right away.
The Roof Is Old
How old is your roof? If you have to take a second to try and think back or you have no idea, then it’s probably time for a roof replacement. Any reputable roof installation company in Seattle will tell you that a roof is usually good for 20 to 25 years. However, this also depends on if the existing roof was installed over another roof, and if the roof is properly ventilated. If you find out any of these things about your current roof and it’s over 20 years of age, it’s a good bet the roof needs to be replaced.
The Roof Is Missing Shingles
While it’s not a problem to be missing a couple of shingles on your roof, as they can be easily replaced, if you are missing a lot of shingles, then it’s best to call in a reputable roofing contractor to replace the entire roof. It is also possible that the new shingles won’t match your existing roof, which means it won’t look good, and it could drive down your home’s value as well.
The Roof Has a Critter Infestation
Insects, squirrels, mice, and other rodents can wreak havoc on a roof. If the damage is to only part of the structure, you could get by with a repair, but if the damage is extensive, a replacement could be your only option. It’s also a good idea to have an exterminator come in and check your home and roof for termite damage as well.
Light Is Coming Through the Roof Boards
If when you walk across your roof and it feels spongy in spots, it could be because of the underlying deck being weakened by moisture. Go into your attic and look up at the roof. If you can see sunlight through the roof boards, you need to contact someone to come inspect and possibly replace your roof as soon as possible. Make sure you check for moisture in your insulation as well.
These are just a few of the top signs that you need to schedule roof replacement with a reputable roofing company. From missing shingles to a roof that is infested with animals and insects, ignoring the problem will only cost you more damage and money in the long run.
If you are a connoisseur of house flipping or home remodeling shows, then you know that a key part of transforming many homes is changing the exterior. With the popularity of the rustic and farmhouse styles, you may have noticed an increase in both brick accents and wood siding. Also, many homeowners rely on a roofing installation process to transform the look of their roof.
Let’s start with the siding options that can transform your home.
If your existing siding needs to be replaced, you have several different options. The three most popular siding materials include fiber cement, cedar, and vinyl. To achieve that farmhouse look, cedar siding is a fantastic option.
Cedar siding comes in both smooth and rough textures. This siding replacement is available in small, medium and wide widths. Siding contractors can paint or stain your cedar siding in just about any color or shade.
If you live in an area with lots of greenery or mountains, the combination of cedar siding and natural backgrounds is just beautiful. It looks almost like a painting or postcard. That cedar siding installation will give you the rustic or farmhouse look that you desire.
If you choose cedar, there are a few important maintenance tips to be aware of. First, the stain or paint on cedar siding needs to be reapplied every three to six years. How long the stain or paint lasts is often dependent on the weather patterns in your geographic location. You also need to know that cedar is one of the more expensive siding options.
Next, let’s discuss the roofing replacement options that can both protect and beautify your home’s exterior.
Some of the most stylish rustic homes have a roof made of rustic metal panels or vintage and rustic rawhide. Another current trend is using rustic shingles.
Rustic shingles look great and can be ordered in many colors that will accent the rest of your home’s exterior. The rustic shingle texture is rugged and actually looks like a wood grain.
During the roofing installation process, installers use concealed, as opposed to exposed fasteners, which create a tight hold and prevent exposure to the elements. These shingles are also easy to maintain and do not crack, rust, or rot. Most homeowners find that the roofing installation process takes between three to five days.
Are you ready to transform your home to match what you have been dreaming about? Many reputable contractors offer both cedar siding replacements and roofing replacements.
To find the right contractor, you may want to ask friends and family for referrals. There are also online sites that rank the best contractors in your geographic area and provide detailed information about their services and availability. Best of luck to you in your rustic, farmhouse transformation!
Spring is in full swing, but your house may still be recovering from a long winter. The good news is there are a few ways you can get your home to shake off the winter season and get ready for the sun.
Consider the following four ways you can give your home the spring makeover you’ve been waiting for:
- Repair your walkway. Ice, snow, hail, and cold temperature can each wreak havoc on your walkway. Take the time to patch up any cracks you might find and replace loose pavers or bricks. You can also use a power washer to clean any stains that have made their home in your concrete, stone, or asphalt.
- Repair or replace your siding. The winter season can also take a major toll on your home’s siding. Although siding is able to resist winds that are up to 110 mph, flying debris can cause cracks, dents, and broken siding. It’s a good idea to replace your siding during the spring because summer is hurricane season, which brings wind and rain from the southeast.
- Mulch and prune. Your trees and shrubbery have made it through the colder seasons. Now it’s time to give them some love and care. Prune any dead branches on your trees and trim back overgrown shrubbery. Remove any obstructive plants you see that could be blocking sunlight from your plants or stealing their water. You also want to spread mulch around your trees, flowers, and shrubs to give them the extra nutrients they need for springtime growth.
- Clear your gutters. Your gutter system ought to be cleaned and inspected at least twice a year, once during the spring and once during the fall. Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear of tree limbs, leaves, and debris that could cause issues later on. Clogged gutters can prevent water from draining away from your house, which can cause flooding and water damage.
Looking for a siding replacement this spring?
Vinyl, fiber cement, and cedar are considered the most popular siding materials, and cedar is the number one most popular type of wood siding. If you’re looking for a siding replacement for your home that boosts your curb appeal and makes your home feel cozier, cedar siding is the choice for you.
Side Pro offers cedar siding installations and siding replacements in the Seattle area so you can make your home look its best year-round. To learn more about our cedar siding installations, contact Side Pro today.