Tips On Finding The Right Siding Companies
Your home needs new siding, but you do not which siding companies to call. A job like this needs a reliable, professional, honest siding contractor. Normally, you’d ask a neighbor, but you are new to town or none of your neighbors have recently resided their homes. In any case, you want some ideas on how to find good siding companies.
In the following points, we’ll give you 7 questions to ask when talking to a siding contractor.
- Liability and Worker’s Compensations Insurance. Does the company have liability covered by their state? This is the first question you’ll want answered because this alone will filter out 90% or more of scam artists and bad actors. Also, and importantly, you do not want to be liable for any injuries your contractor’s employees may incur. If this happens, worker’s compensation will cover the medical bills.
- Warranties. Do the siding companies you contact offer warranties for the product and their workmanship? There may be a built-in manufacturer’s warranty and there may be an additional warranty coverage offered by the siding company you hire. There are over a dozen types of siding and each type has different lifespans. This will affect warranty length. Also, if there are any unintentional mistakes in siding installation, the product itself, or workmanship, you’ll want to be adequately covered so that these issues can be resolved within a reasonable amount of time. Be sure to check the conditions of the warranty because there are things not covered, for example, damage caused by the homeowner.
- Payment. How much time do I have to pay or finance the siding installation? This is another question that will weed out scam artists. Good siding installation companies will want a down payment but they will offer financing that will give you options on the length of time you have to pay. Weigh your options to see if payments with interest for paying in full will be best for you. A scam artist will ask for cash up front. A professional siding and roofing company will offer payment terms.
- Online reviews. Are there any online reviews I can look at? You may ask your potential siding contractors this question in order to ascertain their level of professionalism, customer service, and workmanship. Some companies are more online savvy than others, so you may need to ask for written customer referrals and reviews. Checking company references can be a powerful tool for the consumer.
- Project length. How long will it take the siding company to finish installing your home’s new siding? A professional siding company will be able to give you a timeline which will account for potential weather delays or other circumstances that may add time to the siding job. You can also ask the siding contractor for updates during the project. Whether they are ahead of schedule, on time, or behind schedule, you can have current updates to keep you abreast of time until the project’s completion.
- Clean up. Does the company remove all discarded materials and tools at the end of each day. Make sure that the company gives you this guarantee, so that you will not have to do any clean up. You can also ask which type of dumpster they will be using and its location, so that you can plan for parking alternatives. A good company will have a refuse container on the street in front of your house for ease of access.
- Office location. Where is your office located? This is a question that will filter out business scammers and others who are not legitimate. A place of business is a sign of a legitimate company that complies with its laws and regulations. Even if the company is a start up in the proprietor’s garage, they will not be afraid to have you visit, if they are regulation compliant. You can also look up the Better Business Bureau to see if the company has had any complaints and what has been done to resolve them.
These 7 questions will help you find the right siding companies for your beloved home.